ffffff

Name:
Location: Hamilton, Canada

I'm only half a Chinaman - hard working, just not good at math.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Mii love Wii

Okay, I know I said in my last post that I would begin discussing specific topics, but I gotta put it off until the next post because of certain recent events...

...specifically speaking....

...the Nintendo Wii!



My buddy, Chris, just picked up the new Nintendo Wii a couple weeks ago, and it's easily one of the most innovative gaming consoles that I've ever played! What's so great about the Wii is that it really puts you in control of the game! Instead of just tapping a few buttons and twirling around a joystick, you get to take control of the game as if you were actually in the game.



The "wii-mote" really makes the Wii come to life. We played Wii Sports...so some tennis, bowling, baseball, boxing, and golf...and with the infrared motion sensor on the control, your actions are mimicked by the characters on the screen, and you "virtually" smash the ball in tennis, make the pitch in baseball, and beat the crap out of your opponent in boxing. It's extremely satisfying...and extremely strenuous if you don't stretch before playing...haha... If there was ever a better way to get people together and get active, then the Nintendo Wii is IT. Now go get it!

Okay now back to the discussion topics...

It's funny how I never really cared much for Football (or Soccer for you crazy North American folk) prior to living in Geneva. Primarily because of the lack of exposure in North America, and the general lack of interest amongst the general population here, is probably the reasons why it just never caught on for me. BUT...after having watched the World Cup religiously this past summer, having visited Berlin in the lead-up to the World Cup launch festivities, and having spent several weeknights and Sunday afternoons at Pickwick's Pub watching the games of the day, it's safe to say that I have grown a new love for the game.



But the great thing about the game, is that just recently, I've found so many similarities between football and hockey. Ultimately, hockey is my first sporting love, and after watching recent UEFA Cup Champions League games, football trails a close second place.

I dunno, there's just something about how points are scored in nearly every team possession of play that makes the games all the more exciting. When watching hockey or football, you actually have to keep watching the game because you really don't know who's gonna score next, and the momentum can change so quickly.

Not to mention the simplicity of the games. You trip, tackle, or bodycheck a guy, you get a penalty or kicked out of the game...simple to see offside calls, and THAT'S IT. Most other sports have so many rules, and TONS of play stoppage. Most of the time I don't even see a point in watching most other sports until the last portion of the game. Primarily because those types of games are generally decided in the last 10 minutes of time.

FINALLY...

I was watching 'Late Night with Conan O'Brien' a couple nights ago, and they ran this sketch about new college mascots and after one of the mascot debuts involving a manatee acting seductive in front of a webcam, Conan muttered, "...HornyManatee.com" as a joke. On the following night's episode, Conan revealed that according to their legal department, if anyone mentions on live television a website that doesn't exist, then the network by-law must purchase that website name.

And can you believe, it happened. I'm not kidding. www.HornyManatee.com



With a meager $140, they purchased the rights to that web address, and it's valid to run for the next 10 years. So with that they're encouraging people to submit ideas and even their own photos to contribute to the website. The submissions are ridiculously funny...I whole-heartedly recommend going to visit the site and attempt making a submission if you can.

This is totally typical of the show...they make a crude joke on the show and it accidently blossoms into a cheap and reusable joke that'll make them tons in fan participation. And they were dead-on right with that decision because since Conan mentioned the incident on the show, the website has already received over 1 million hits...hahaha...

Well played Conan...well played...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home